Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #43
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
I don't think anyone would argue against the view that sleep paralysis can be aggravated by stress and / or disrupted sleep patterns. I know from my own perspective that I have a reasonable amount of work-related stress and awake before 5am Monday to Friday for 14 hours+ of commuting and work. That takes its toll.

However, I think there's more to sleep paralysis than a simple scientific explanation - the fact that it is much more prevalent in certain cultures than others and how it manifests itself differently in some of these societies (Zanzibar being the perfect example). I think that how we experience sleep paralysis can probably inform much about our individual psyche.

All-in-all a fascinating topic ..... Although I will glady take your advice and spend some time by the beach !
Oh i agree Ciaran!!! It's very interesting to learn that it happens more times in specific cultures. It does raise the eyebrow, if you will. If it is just caused by stress, why doesn't everyone get it. I think there is much more to it as well. One thing i've noticed is that it seems to occur to people that are very intuitive, on the side of spirituality and paranormal. Of course this is just my personal observation and not a scientific one for sure. My granny had these for example and some around that part of the mountain thought of her as a witch.

Who knows right? And yeah spending more time at the beach will have plenty of benefits no matter if it helps our "episodes" or not.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: