Old 10-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
One other thing I don't know if there would be any issues with a surgeon if you are not FTM. Is there anything they would need to know or understand. I figure the surgery would be the same whether it was part of a transition process/someone identifying male or for someone like me but I really am not sure. I haven't ever looked into surgeons because I do not have the money, but I do think about having chest surgery a lot.

I am glad Dapper posted hys info in the Trans zone and thank you Miss Tick for starting this thread.
Bulldog,

Just to pass along some information. Most surgeons continue to follow the WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) standards of care, for this surgery. It does not matter how one defines, they would just need a referral from a therapist OR a primary care physician. In September, 2013 the standards changed and one does not have to be FTM, they only have to have "gender dysphoria" (exactly what people are talking about here...a part of their body is not congruent with their birth sex).

This is a wonderful change.

http://www.wpath.org/uploaded_files/...ull%20Book.pdf

(page 59 for the criteria for top surgery).

---------------

To respond to your other musing, yes, the surgery would be the same regardless as to how one identifies, but you can have the surgeon adjust some things. For example, I saw a youtube video of a genderqueer person who requested the surgeon make their areolas (the pigmented skin around the nipple), larger than a surgeon typically would for this surgery. Males have smaller areolas than females, and this person wanted their chest to look more androgynous so they requested, and received larger nipples (but, smaller than they originally had, as they would look too big). Additionally, men's nipples are placed more to the sides of the chest than females, which are more centered. With the double incision surgery (the one most people get), the nipples are removed, resized, and then placed on the chest. You could ask your surgeon to place the nipples in a more "female", centered position on the chest. I suppose it depends on the surgeon, but the two I talked with, were open to the above adjustments from what I have seen on others. Every person's chest is different, so one would need to meet with the surgeon to learn what is possible for their particular chest.

I hope the above is helpful and not too long winded!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?

Last edited by DapperButch; 10-20-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: cleaning up grammar
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: