Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaJ View Post
I was thinking about this subject, again today whilst giving myself a pedicure and then a manicure. I realized that I have already been just saying I'm Queer, if someone asks.

Thinking back, it seems I really stated to claim Queer back in October. I did so in response to a 20 something Bi guy who was flirting with me. He was being very playful about it, not obnoxious in any way, but after a while I just got tired of dealing with it. So, I finally told him that although I was truly and deeply flattered by his interest, he could save his breath because, "I'm Queer and I'm not into men."

His response was, "Really? You don't look Queer. No wait a minute... I don't know. Since I've moved out here to Hollywood, I never know who is what anymore. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you."

All I could do is laugh, really. He did looked quite flummoxed. I then informed him that yes I do look Queer because I am Queer. I am a Femme Lesbian, therefore, I look like a Lesbian:-) He didn't really understand what I was stalking about at first regarding Femme. I had to explain it to him. There wasn't any issue or problem, he was just under-informed.

It really is about busting the stereotypes held about Lesbians and Gay Men, I think.
I have had some very tough conversations about "queer." think that this has mostly been due to generational interpretations. Queer to someone in my generation or older always brings up it meaning gay men, only. Yikes! And it is amazing how often I can still run into people that just can't (or won't) see a woman as lesbian if she is "feminine."

Yes, bust those stereotypes!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: