View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Sweet Bliss for beginning this thread. It sounds like it could be fun learning new things! I looked up Dregs. I always believed it meant undesireables like the phrase "dregs of society". I recently used those particular words in a paper for school to point out the societal view of addicts in their addictions. The site you provided had this to say:

dregs (n.)
c.1300 (implied in surname Dryngedregges), from Old Norse dregg "sediment," from Proto-Germanic *drag- (cf. Old High German trestir, German Trester "grapeskins, husks"), from PIE *dher- (1) "to make muddy." Replaced Old English cognate dræst, dærst "dregs, lees." Figurative use is from 1530s.

'Sediment' or 'to make muddy' would probably be what led to that phrase being used. Another way of saying scum of the Earth.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post: