How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,396 Times in 6,872 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

It occurred to me last night, I'm going to be living very close to a dairy farm.

I'm thinking if I visit and find the animals are treated well, it wouldn't be hard for me to buy milk and milk products from them. Now that I've found that Land O' Lakes is in Monsanto's pocket, I need an alternative for butter. If I get raw milk, I can make my own cheese, yogurt and possibly butter.

Also, Asheville is big into the Buy Local movement. It just makes sense. The further your food travels the less fresh it is and the larger the carbon footprint. Many of their restaurants buy from local farmers and their menus reflect what is available at that point in time.

For anyone interested, No Impact Man provided a lot of information on "do it yourself" food. Since he vowed for a year to use nothing disposable, he had to learn to make a lot o things at home...bread and yogurt included. It's worth a read. But he touches upon the local food thing. The author said something along the lines of, if you want to know where your food is coming from, you have to go meet the farmer who grows it, shake his hand and look him in the eye and see if he's proud of his product. That is not a verbatim quote but it's true none the less...

This may not be the best place to post all this but I've been going through things in my head that I want to change, what's acceptable to me and what isn't. So this is the fall out from my contemplations