View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,326 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Just curious:

Do folks who feel like bringing pets to public places is a hardship on folks with allergies also feel that perfume and cologne-wearers should leave their scents at home?

The reason I ask is because the lady at my job who complained about "bring a dog to work day" also has asked that everyone in my unit stop wearing perfume and cologne and also asked the campus building supervisor change out the "smelly" soap and air fresheners in all the bathrooms.
As someone who is very scent sensitive, I'm going to feild this one..

I have worked with two people who's over use of cologne/perfume caused my air way to completey close... Triggered migrains than had me seeing technocolor,leaving me unable to speak, or understand what was being said to me.. When I went to HR about these events, I was made to feel like I was being whiney and I just needed to suck it up... I was called on to the carpet about making a supervior feel akward because I couldn't be next to her without having an allergic reaction... I ended up leaving both of the jobs...

If someone has sever allergies.. Life is not fun... I had to leave my chosen career because I became allergic to air born flour.. (Can't be a bread maker if you can't make bread) Someone impusivly putting on that extra spritz of perfume in the morning, and I have to stand in line behind them in the grocery store, means that I have to leave the area... Possibly the store depending on how strong of a reaction I have to the chemicals. (Patchouli is going to take me down for two days with a migrain)

Going down the detergent isle in the grocery store is test on how long I can hold my breath... (Don't get me started on trying to walk PAST the Yankee Candle Store)

Trying to do the work that you are paid for while your eyes are streaming, your head is pounding and you are fighting to breath is not a pleasant thing.. You are suffering because someone wants to SMELL pretty.. you are paying for other peoples vanity with your very breath...

I might feel a bit strongly about this.. It just seems so silly... You can't breath so someone can smell good..

If I had my way, all work places would be scent free...