Old 05-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #4668
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I hear what you are saying, homoe, but if it's a contractual obligation, then she knew when she signed the contract to compete that that is an expectation of her. She had time beforehand to devise a way to compromise. Also, reading the post she made cites three main reasons for her not wanting to do the media rounds.

1. She doesn't want to be asked the same questions over and over again.
2. She said that after a loss, it can beat a player down.
3. She doesn't wanted to be subjected to people that doubt her.

To address point two, she won so that reason doesn't apply to her at all, at least for the one that she's already missed. If she didn't want to be subjected to people that could doubt her, then she chose the wrong career. High performance level athletes in any sport all have fans and critics. It's part of the job. Hell, it's part of MY job and I'm as far away from being a professional athlete as you can get. As for point one, everyone in just about every sport has media junkets of some kind. Due to COVID, some have been adjusted for safety protocols, but they are being done.

My job comes with stress too but I can't just bail whenever I feel overwhelmed. I realize that that probably makes me seem callous but it's life and it's a KNOWN stressor for her chosen career, which she has been at for years now. She's had ample time to address it and/or deal with it.

Now, if they were chasing her down the road and creating dangerous situations like some paparazzi do, I'd totally get it. But she's refusing to sit down in a conference room and answer questions. Her coach and support staff could direct the reporters and let them know that certain subjects or questions are off limits. There are ways around it. There are also other athletes with mental health issues that have found ways to compensate and compromise. 35% of elite athletes deal with a mental health crisis (Data is from Athletes for Hope, an organization that aims to educate, encourage and assist athletes.). Why can't she take notes from them and find a way that benefits her?

In the end, it's her money to lose and if she wants to commit breach of contract, that's up to her but if she makes no effort to meet that contractual obligation in some way, then that's that.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: