How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
i think it was originally an erotic twilight au (alternate universe) fanfiction.

but i think twilight, and fanfiction in general, kind of lend themselves to overwrought, melodramatic sort of romance...so i'm curious to see the reception of fifty shades of grey.
Okay, I'm 50 pages into it, and now that I know it came out of Twilight fanfic, it's ALL I can see. It's set in the Pacific Northwest...narrated in first-person by a young woman described as "closed-off" who spurns all previous romantic overtures, and falls head over heels in love (and hate, and love, and hate) with a rich wise-beyond-his-years and strikingly handsome man with all-knowing eyes and an ever-present smirk. Oh, and there's even a competing love interest, a dark-skinned muscle-bound easy-going best friend. Yep, sounds like Twilight alright.

But then Twilight was based on Pride and Prejudice (as Stephenie Meyer admitted), with the independent and outspoken Elizabeth Bennet having her own love/hate reaction to the rich and aloof Mr. Darcy.

So maybe Fifty Shades of Grey is actually the BDSM version of Pride and Prejudice? Hmmm.