How Do You Identify?:
femme submissive
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married and collared to Converse

12 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

tiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Or 3rd shift, or graveyard shift. Whatever it is that you like to call it.

I've been working straight graveyards for a month now, and while I have had no difficulty adjusting my sleep schedule (I sleep just fine during the day, and I don't find myself tired at work or anything like that) it's been difficult for me in other ways.

I find that I am sad all the time now. I can't put my finger on what I'm sad about - but I am just incredibly bummed out.

I also have started putting on weight, although I am not eating any more / worse than what I had before. My body just seems to be confused in some way and has slowed my metabolism down, I guess?

And on top of that - I am lonely at work. I work in the field that I work in (I work for a pretty big non-profit that does home support for people with physical disabilities) because I wanted to have a job where I would be physically and socially active - but overnights I don't see much of the people that are the reason that I -have- that job to begin with. Mostly night shifts are about paperwork and maintaining the office. I'm only on-site in case someone in the apartment building needs something during the night - which they very rarely seem to do.

Does anybody else who works or has worked overnights have any suggestions for me (and for all of the other graveyard shift workers on this site) so that I can cope better?
Hi Betenoire,

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with working graveyard shifts they can take quite a toll on the body. I have been working shift work for 11 years now and at least half of the shifts are graveyard shifts so I understand the struggle. I find a lot of the time I'm not sure what day of the week it is and I have a lousy sense of 'time', my internal clock is not the best. lol

A lot of the suggestions mentioned so far are really good ones and can help make working the graveyards easier on the rest of your life. The biggest struggles for those of us that work these altered schedules are family/home life and feelings of anxiety/depression. The suggestion of the vitamin D is a great one but you can also look into getting a once a month vitamin B shot, it is good for you moods and also your immune system If you are not in an area that gets a lot of natural sun year round going for a tanning session once a week can help with elevating your moods as well. It is recommended sometimes for those that suffer from seasonal effectiveness disorder and has the same mood lifting affects on those that work a lot of graveyards.

The weight issue isn't uncommon either for those that work graveyards; you have to remember we are not normally nocturnal beasts. At night our metabolism naturally slows down and our bodies go into 'sleep and repair mode', it's what's called your circadian rhythm. It regulates a number of physiological functions such as body temperature, hormone secretion, heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, digestion and mental alertness.

I have found over the years that staying away from eating larger meals at night is necessary. Instead eat several times throughout the night and keep the meals light and small. Plan your meals ahead of time and try to have your main 'meal' prior to midnight, small amounts of protein are good at this time.

Always eat breakfast when you wake up from sleeping, it doesn't matter that it is not 'breakfast time' try to keep your meal schedule as normal as possible.
The biggest thing for eating though is to not eat a meal within an hour before you go to sleep otherwise it will sit in your belly and turn to fat. Your body will be at it's slowest due to not being able to fully 'shut down' throughout the night and will not be digesting your food well.

Hope this helps a bit with your transition into the world of working graveyards, remember to take good care of yourself.