Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #31
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Am I the only person who is bothered by stereotypical generalizations about (oppressed) groups of people? Even if those stereotypical generalizations are *supposed to be* compliments?

Black men have big dicks

Jewish men are good with money

Mexican men are just so romantic and Don Juanish

Transmen are just so sensitive and 'in touch'

When I hear these kinds of stereotypical generalizations about transmen, I just HAVE to wonder how many transmen some folks meet off of this site and in the real world

Which then leads me to wonder how folks knew they were being hit on by a cisguy (in reference to the creepy crawler comment by Softness) and not a transguy.

I also don't understand what someone's sexuality ("this transguy was bi, but then went straight" or "That transguy was straight and then fucked men after T") has to do with the price of rice

I'm Sure I'll Be Filleted For All Of This...But...Eh,
Dylan...NOT more 'in tune' than anyone else when it comes to the wants/needs/desires of women
While I like a good fillet, it won't be comprised of you...promise!

I see the offense in generalizations. But I also see that stereotypes exist for a reason; a specific pattern of behavior has been observed and documented. Stereotypes are there because so many people of one particular sex/color/creed/etc have behaved in a particular way often. This exists for all of us, whether or not we're part of an oppressed group.

That doesn't make it right for folks to access a particular group based strictly on things they've "heard", of course. I just wonder if there is an acceptable middle ground somewhere or if there are going to be many of us who are always up in arms about every generalization for every group. That would be extremely exhausting to me.

Just my .02 on a day when I'm actually pretty calm. Tomorrow may change though....

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: