Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

After being involved in some of the clean-up efforts around the SF Bay after the tanker spill a few years ago, I have been keeping track of shore birds at the dog park I walk my pooch at daily. The park is right on the Bay and you can go off on other trails in protected areas (but not with dogs off leash).

For a long time, the birds left because the oil obviously ruined their food supply. Now, they are returning- it has taken nearly a decade!

Sometimes, I bring a snack and after my dog has had some good exercise, I sit with my "nocks" and just watch them feeding at low tide. The numbers have increased from last year to this! Frog Dog just sits next to me and looks out at them.

I talk to people that allow their dogs out in that area- tell them it ain't cool! Although, very few people do this. This park has co-existed with the bird sanctuaries established for over 20 years and now there is a fight going on to take away portions of the dog park.

The birds are returning and they don't seem to have any problems with the dog park being nearby as long as humans read and observe the rules! Also, all of the rest of the shoreline is totally restricted- no dogs at all for many miles. they need these areas to produce little baby birds and dogs would disturb this process.

I wish people would just stop screwing up things! Observe the rules and everyone, including our pooches can enjoy this wonderful park.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: