View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I see a lot of smart young women and men saying feminist things on the internet, and I don't spend that much time here. I don't know that they ID as feminists, but I doubt that most would baulk at the description.

I think what Katie Pery was acknowledging is that it's not a particularly cool thing to call yourself right now. But anyone serious enough to think beyond what's cool knows better. And, thank god, there are a lot of folks like that.

I don't think it matters how we market feminism, whether it is cool or not. It's a human rights issue. We are making progress on awareness of human rights issues around the world, including, maybe especially, women's rights.

Malala was not just an international cause celebre. She got a huge amount of support at home. The protests in India to the rape cases. The reaction to the Republicans candidates remarks about rape in the last election.

There were losses too -- access to abortion in the United States. But change is happening. It's not going to stop because some trendy people don't like the word "feminist."
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: