View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntycingFemme View Post

I've never been out of work this long my entire life, nor have I felt as low as I do when I call in my unemployment every 2 weeks- makes me feel like a bum, and to be quite honest.. I feel absolutely worthless most days. I am missing part of my identity, its affecting my confidence, my self esteem, my relationship, and my outlook on life in general.
It's normal to feel this way for one thing. But you need to fight this, as best you can, so you can be level. I've been there so many times, I know. I also know what it is to reinvent my career, entering another field and crossing the learning curves. It's tough. I'm responding again here with other things for you and anyone else in this thread.

Some things to remember...as I told you in the other thread it's not you. Job hunting is not anywhere near the same as it was in our generation. You're screened through the internet along with hundreds of other applicants, and that's only if your resume gets seen. It's not like the old days when you could make a call, set up an interview and shake hands. Tailor everything towards the company if the company name is even listed. Tailor your presentation if it's not listed. They do that a lot not to be inundated and that makes it worse.

Companies don't care about you. They only care about what's best for them. Because of the economy, most companies want cheaper help and people who are flexible enough to wear about 3 hats for the same amount of pay. I no longer believe it's good to list years of experience now days when a company's priorities are to get the best bang for the buck and someone who doesn't appear overqualified. Usually younger, and the smart ass savvy get the best shot. I completely revamped my resume to get rid of a lot of over qualifying information. I just haven't applied in quite awhile because I'm so sick. Make your resume brief, but invite them to inquire about additional information if available. And research the hell out of the company.

Job hunting and today's methods and variables make it a tidal wave. Do everything you can to lower the water by getting rid of anything self defeating, that's first. You're not a bum or a loser. Revamp your approach if you need to and tailor your presentation to overcome the youth factor, the online limitations—make yourself custom fit. Having a ton of experience doesn't cut it anymore as much as mentioning stronger skills and venues for bringing technology, fresh ideas, streamlining, profitability to the company, and unique things to the position.

Know that someone at the helm may not care about old history and a lengthy background. Everything these days is about about brevity and making it hard hitting. Know you're competition is likely to be younger and that means fresh ideas and cheaper pay. You just wouldn't believe their take on having years of experience. Streamline your resume and background info to make it tailor fit for what their looking for. Get rid of anything that smells of an "older worker." Hey, many of us are in the same boat. Looking for work is full time. Keep your chin up and get rid of anything thinking that doesn't serve you. I know it's hard. Good luck.

J
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post: