Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I spent 20 years in the hospitality industry (waitressing, bartending, banquet manager, front desk, restaurant GM...you name it), followed by 10 in the non-profit field (meaningful work, making a difference in people's lives, but working essentially 5 jobs for the pay of half of one).

About halfway through my non-profit career I decided that, as a single mother, I needed more money, better benefits, and a way to give my son more than his day to day needs. I went back to school, and ended up earning a MS and MBA....and took a job in a medium-sized corporation.

While not everyone who works with my company would agree, I feel like I won the job lottery. I work full-time, have good benefits (although our medical insurance has gotten worse each year), and a great deal of freedom since I work remotely from my home. As an added bonus, my work is meaningful....and I know that what I'm doing enhances the lives and health of many people, so I don't have to feel like I'm just pushing papers around for a paycheck.

I'm a project manager, which I love...it suits my bossy, controlling side. But working remotely lets me be the kind of mom I want to be...a total win-win.

While my company has done 4 rounds of layoffs in the time I've been with them, I've survived them all (luckily the numbers were small)...and I've been fortunate to get promotions, as well as raises and bonuses each year.

I feel for everyone who's struggling out there....and heartily recommend getting training or a degree, no matter what age you are. I went back to college after having been away 20 years, and got my MBA at age 45. It was the best choice I ever made (and yea, I'll be making my last student loan payment when I'm 70).