View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
greeneyedgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme/queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her

Thanked 3,267 Times in 835 Posts
greeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Kid wasn't even bullied yet. Maybe the teachers should have a little more trust in their students. The kid may not have even been bullied!
ugh.... it sounds like if this was preemptive and (really even if it wasn't) anti-bias education would have been a much better solution. my preschool kids kids are capable of understanding it... i think middle schoolers can too (thought it may take more repetition with them because they've had a longer time to solidify biases).

the idea is to challenge forming or formed biases with examples that show another way of thinking about it. in effect it's teaching critical thinking. i think that it's more time consuming and takes more work, (not much as it is interwoven into teaching/teaching style) but the pay off (children and citizens who accept others differences and can see commonalities) is well worth it.

i had to really fight for this at my daughter's school. even with free training... it just makes so much more sense than to me than zero tolerance where there are punishments and consequences but no real teaching and therefore no real change.
greeneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greeneyedgrrl For This Useful Post: