Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,927 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default K's personal health journey (members read only): Smart Food Choices that Improve Your Health & Life

Over the last year and a half, I have not been as physically active due to my work related injury. I have learned that, in my case, not being able to walk or be physically active is connected to other health related factors.

For example, I've had to employ critical thinking skills in developing better food choices to aid my health recovery. My doctor asked me last year to keep an journal of all the foods I eat and things I drink. Six months later, via my food journal, we discovered that because of my inability to be as physically active like I used to be, that I had to make better food and drink choices to help heal my body and aid in my physical recovery.

Because of my inability to get physical exercise, my body was not able to process foods I normally used to eat. I learned that I couldn't eat just any type of bread or crackers or types of pasta or types of rice. I also learned that I wasn't getting enough water.

In my case, lack of enough physical activity and not enough water and eating foods which convert readily into sugar has escalated an blood sugar level crisis that I deal with on an daily basis.

So until my mobility improves significantly, my doctor coaches me on things I can do to improve my blood sugar levels, so I don't become diabetic.

Here are a few changes I've made to improve my health:

1) I drink one gallon of water per day. But when warmer weather prevails, my water intake will increase to 1.5 gallons. In extended heat conditions, it has to go up to at least two gallons of water per day, for my body to combat fatigue and because I take special medications, my body needs extra water to help the medications work properly.

2) My doctor recommended that I eat an handful of nuts after each meal. There's something about nuts that helps your body to process foods that convert easily into sugar and keeps your blood sugar from escalating off the charts.

3) Instead of buying major brand peanut or almond butter's, I now go to the health food section of the store and grind my own peanut butter or almond butter. Nut butter's have naturally occurring sugar of less than one gram. Major brand nut butter's have too much sugar.

4) I eat more fresh vegetables and limited types of fruits. I buy organic as often as possible. I buy vegetables that are dark green and all types of colorful sweet peppers and have expanded my tolerance for certain types of cabbage. With fruits, I typically choose blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries (fresh or with frozen, no sugar added) . I also buy melons when they're in season. Same for squash. Zucchini is an favorite squash I like to buy often, just to slice up and add to my garden salads.

5) I also now eat more types of fish. Baked or smoked, I like salmon, albacore tuna, smoked oysters and sardines. I will only buy chicken that is farm raised where no antibiotics are given to them or hormones. On occasion, I buy grass fed beef-- but red meat is limited to once or twice a month. Eventually, my goal is to get my proteins from plant sources primarily, and only eat fish or eggs moderately.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Feel free to share any ideas you think is improving your life or share any articles you come across that has helped you make better food choices. I currently read Diabetic Living because the magazine gives great ideas on making better food choices and the magazine often gives you recipes and menus to try at home.

Here's an link to the website, if you can't find this magazine at your local book store or magazine section at your favorite grocery store:

www.diabeticlivingonline.com

Bon Appétit!
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: