Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
I've flown a fair amount in the past year, but only between Syracuse, NYC, Orlando, West Palm Beach and Phoenix.

I got a pat down in West Palm for wearing a "voluminous skirt"...but it was no big deal...female TSA agent was polite, professional and quick. And another in Phoenix when I stupidly wore a blouse with a metal clasp that couldn't be removed and set off the metal detector. Again, no big deal.

I was given a choice in Phoenix to go in the backscatter line or the standard line...the TSA agent was just telling people (correctly) that the backscatter line moved faster, but we were all free to make our own choice. I went in the standard line, because I don't like the idea of the backscatter.

Andrea, I wonder if the TSA agent you described got all weird because your liquids were packed in your bag. In every airport I fly through they tell you to put them on top, not in your carryon, so that they can clearly be seen. He/She may have felt like you were trying to hide something.

Orlando security is slow and difficult to predict...mostly because a bazillion families are going through there on vacation. Sometimes it feels like they're just shoveling people through, and other times they get very picky.
Thank you for your response. I am happy to hear you found your pat downs to be "no big deal".

Do you feel flying is safer with the latest TSA requirements, including receiving a pat down due to wearing a skirt or wearing clothing that has a metal clasp? Were you allowed to keep your things in view at all times?

You may be correct about why the TSA agent in my situation got all weird. We are not seasoned travelers so may have made a mistake but that certainly does not excuse his yelling at us.

Andrea

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.

Last edited by Andrea; 03-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote