View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Another thing I've done is to increase the amount of sleep I get each night. This was a tricky one because I didn't want to take any supplements or anything. I had been getting along for quite a few years on 6 hours a night, but after doing a bit of research, decided I could use more. I wanted to reduce the levels of cortisol in my system. I read up on what is referred to as sleep hygiene and implemented some of those ideas. Setting up and using a fan for white noise, making it as dark as possible, and making it cooler at night all helped. Just not enough.

Over some time, maybe a month or two, I put together a ritual to go through right before I go to sleep and faithfully followed it everyday. Nothing special, just closing up the place, checking pet needs, and as the last item I made sure to have a hot bath or shower right before getting into bed. By following the same exact routine each night, my body started learning that when x,y,z, were complete, it was time to go to sleep.

It like a reflex, or muscle memory, and works like a charm for me 98% of the time. Even if I am stressed or all wired up, the motions seem to put in place the result.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: