Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Joan C. Williams is Distinguished Professor of Law and Founding Director of the Center of Work Life Law at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Described as having "something approaching rock star status” by the New York Times, she has played a central role in documenting how work-family conflict affects working-class families and in reshaping the debates over women’s advancement for the past quarter-century.

I never heard of her either. After this book, I am looking forward to reading her other book - Unbending gender : why family and work conflict and what to do about it.

There are 30 pages of footnotes to browse through.

Neutral and non partisan? Hm. That sounds like you are asking me if she is using data to push for one political viewpoint over another.

I didnt see or feel that. I saw a new and refreshing way of looking at data and leaving it up to the reader to form their own conclusions as to what resonates with them and why.

There are three things that stand out to me. The first is the way she shows commonalities across ethnicity as well as specific and unique differences when it comes to looking at something from a class perspective.

Secondly, she illustrates in a simple way as to how the social contract between employers and employees has been radically changed since WW2 , how the demise of labor unions (class specific) has taken a toll on middle America, and globalization has led to a different approach in policy. All add up to significant losses for a significant amount of people.

Third, and most importantly to me, is showing the assumptions and presumptions people make, from the top on down which skews reality, and creates and perpetuates divisions.

If you read it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. This is a theme I am seeing more and more in contemporary writings.
Oh, very nice! Thank you Kobi.... I will snag a copy of it soon. That's impressive, 30 pages of foot notes! And I'm sure that her source citations will be very interesting. Every field of academic study adheres to particular tenets of research methods, so no doubt Law will utilize stringent codification process of discovery. Very nice, and many thanks!!

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: