CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
It is a reactive stance for some white people who are now interested in fighting racism. Not because its the right thing to do, but because now it affects them. And that's how change is usually made—as a reactionary measure against something that is touching someone's life.

This isn't an indictment against white people, especially not anti-racists—it's an examination on how SOME liberal voters in Iowa are changing their views on race and as a result, the politicians are changing how the speak with those voters.
Yes, I agree that some people won't care about justice until injustice touches them personally. That's a universal truth, but the writer seems to think anti-racism activism is slightly ridiculous. He doesn't write about 'some' liberals. He generalizes about liberals. Period. He specifically claims that the entire Democratic party is being pushed to a reactive stance by liberal white guilt. The thing that gives his bias away is that he doesn't ever mention the possibility that people who are not black might be interested in racial justice because it's simply the right thing to do. Only that they're feeling guilty and/or that it's a new strategy.

I think the headline sets the tone. Mildly derisive. Scare quotes around 'White Guilt'. The tone of the rest of article doesn't get any better. I get upset about this sort of thing because it's so important. The faint whiff of ridicule will turn a person sour.