Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Sadly, there is no magic trick for memorization...its recitation recitation recitation recitation. over and over and over again, and then 100 times more.

Read it aloud, devoid of tone or intonation or dramatic phrasing or emotion. Read it aloud over and over and over until you can start to recite it (bit by bit) without having to look.

I would often make a short list of words that represented the main idea/thought of a particular paragraph or portion of the monologue and use it as a cheat sheet. ex: taxi, sister, broken shoe, bridge

Find a helper, a friend or colleague, that will listen and read along - prompting you when you need it.

My advice is memorize first, once you know the words it will be easy to find yourself in the words (your thoughts and feelings about the words) and deliver it in a way that is genuine.

Good writing (like TVM) is good because it captures some "truth" (in experience or feeling or thought) that we all recognize; good acting is expressing that truth in a way that is honest/genuine.

The good news is that because you've learned it before, it will likely come flooding back. And because you've performed this piece before you'll likely have some sense memory of how it felt when you performed it - and that will come back to you too.

Memorize your lines and then just be yourself and enjoy the experience!