Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why I Am Not a Feminist: A Feminist Manifesto Jessa Crispin

The review says :

Outspoken critic Jessa Crispin delivers a searing rejection of contemporary feminism . . . and a bracing manifesto for revolution.

Are you a feminist? Do you believe women are human beings and that they deserve to be treated as such? That women deserve all the same rights and liberties bestowed upon men? If so, then you are a feminist . . . or so the feminists keep insisting. But somewhere along the way, the movement for female liberation sacrificed meaning for acceptance, and left us with a banal, polite, ineffectual pose that barely challenges the status quo. In this bracing, fiercely intelligent manifesto, Jessa Crispin demands more.

Why I Am Not A Feminist is a radical, fearless call for revolution. It accuses the feminist movement of obliviousness, irrelevance, and cowardice--and demands nothing less than the total dismantling of a system of oppression.

-----------------

Not sure I agree with the review. Doesnt seem to equate with my definition of radical but she does pose some very interesting and important questions for anyone who thinks "feminism" is a done deal as opposed to a continually evolving movement.

She is very good at demonstrating how what can perceived as progress can easily turn into an unexpected and unwanted pitfall.

It will challenge one's beliefs and why one believes them. It will anger some, enlighten others. Will definitely make anyone reading it, think harder and in ways that may not be comfortable.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: