Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Thanks, Anya. My goal was to post it in the forum that the largest number of people who would be interested in it would read it. This thread gets a lot of readers.

It's interesting. I am wondering if my inclination to look for the feminism thread because the energy behind the article to me (and the energy I felt she was putting out...maybe because that was what I wanted to read in it) was her sense of power as a women (feminism), rather than her writing from a place of defeat (misogyny and sexism...but which of course the article is about).

This would all be unconscious, of course, but is interesting to think about.

Different perspectives render different analysis.

To me, the gist of this article was how this woman discovered that when she "posed as a male" she had a totally different experience than that which she had as a woman.

Being perceived as a male, her opinion counted more, she was validated, she was heard and seen.

As a woman, her experience was to be ignored, insulted, dismissed, and devalued.

To me, this is sexism and misogyny in action. It is where perceived sex leads to a different experience and a different sense of importance.

Feminism is about women being empowered because they are women. It is about their presence, their opinions, their views are valuable simply because they are valued as a people within society.

The empowement this woman felt didnt come from being seen as and appreciated as a female. The empowerment came from being perceived as and validated as a male. Not the same thing.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: