Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

Many of the larger companies use what's call the STAR method. I've worked for a few employers who do and we had to write down what the person said under each ... under the S, the T, the A and the R. <-- going that far is a big pain in the ass but it's very good way to catch if the applicant has just answered your question. As the interviewee ... it's a very good way for you to know if you just answered their question.

STAR is...

Situation
Task
Action
Result

STAR = "Tell me about a time when..." type questions.

Regardless of whether or not the interviewer is using the STAR method, you should be, and this is why I say don't rush to answer! Take a few seconds to find a SITUATION that fits the question... what was the TASK involved... what ACTION did you take... what were the RESULTS of your action.

The interview essentially public speaking ... acting... a performance... and for this reason it's the area that is most often blown in the hiring process. After the interview, think over how you felt while sitting there and how you felt about your answers. Write down their questions... write down your answers... write down better answers if you think there was a better answer. <-- Most companies ask the same question just in different ways. The interview is theater... performance... the better you know their lines as well as your own lines... the better you'll perform.

Questions?
I give my candidates the interview questions in advance.

Especially now that we have to use the "tell me about a time when..." type of questions. In the moment it can be hard to think of a good example and having them grope and panic for an answer was excruciating for me and disheartening for them.

I feel like the advantage in NOT giving the questions in advance is that it cuts down on opportunities to make something up, but the disadvantage is that the interview is about more than instant recall and quick thinking and stressful situation make people weak in those areas even when they are normally strong.

What do you think of this practice?