Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Congrats! I hope this happens for you!!

First off, make sure the surgeon knows exactly what you're looking for....*male* chest reconstruction. It's not just as simple as tissue removal. If the surgeon does quite a few "FTM top surgeries" then this shouldn't be an issue.

Get the logistics......the surgeon's timeline or way of doing things. Find out exact times, where you'll be, how long you'll be there, follow-up procedures, etc...

Get a recommendation from the surgeon for supplements you can/should take in advance and what you can do to prepare. For example, I loaded up on vitamin C so I wouldn't get sick.......took something to help minimize bruising........got good and hydrated in advance, etc... All those little things really help with how you'll feel post-op.

I think having two or three weeks (more is better) post-op where you can lie around and do little to nothing is a good plan. And I think another four or five weeks after that of low activity where you're not exerting your upper body in anyway is also a good idea. Planning ahead for that kind of time off for yourself is pretty critical.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. It's an exciting adventure, but you'll definitely need a little help along the way.

Good luck!
Thanks!

Recovery time is probably my biggest obstiscle in all of this. My job is fairly physical so besides saving for the surgery I need enough to cover not working for a month or two. However the nature of what i'm doing right now I believe I can do the surgery and still have work when I'm ready to return.

I eventually want to switch jobs however I feel that will push surgery possiblities back another year so if the finaicial stuff comes together in the next month or so if I can finacially swing it I want to do it before I look for a new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
hey Oopster-

you may want to discuss what your surgery options are. there are different methods being used depending on chest size, chest sag and also what kinda body fat is being held in area. this is when the you really gotta be clear on
what your sculptured expectation is.make sure they are writing down what you are saying and that you know everybody is clear on whats being performed. i have been given instructions by my therapist to talk to 3 different doctors. i will leave a link to one doctor i have had a consult with. the website has a bunch of before and afters. it also explains the different procedures he uses and compares them.

http://www.drgarramone.com/procedures-transgender2.html

here is another link that will get more detailed about the same options

http://ftmichael.transboys.info/topsurgeryinfo.html
I'm suprisingly big in fact i think i'm bigger then any of the pics on the one sight, so I know the double incision is my route.

The one dr. I'm leaning towards has done other ftms and in fact did theo's work. Haven't set up a consult yet though. Do hope to check out a couple others also. The advantage to the one theo went to is proximatey and cost and i believe a free consultation. There are some more well known ones but I feel some of the cost is paying for the name of the surgeon.

i got some other stuff i need to focus on in the next week or so then hopefully i'll know if my finacial stuff is going to happen and I can start putting my energy towards surgery stuff.

Thanks for the link .... any other links people can give me is appreiciated. Unfortunately i don't have a lot of patience to sit at a computer and search for stuff.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote