View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #49
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

It seems to me they are trying to court some kind of authenticity again. I don't know how truly talented musicians, as many of them are, perform the trash they do year after year. Money and attention are powerful incentives, I imagine.

Signs of the authenticity scare:

Eric Church's "Mr Misunderstood" -- esp the lyric "But you love your daddy's vinyl, old-time rock and roll -- Elvis Costello, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and think Jeff Tweedy is one bad mother"

LeeAnn Womack's nominations for an album of Americana music -- songs by Bruce Robison, Julie Miller, Neil Young, Hayes Carll, Mindy Smith, and Chris Knight.

Chris Stapleton doing so well. While he writes mainstream country songs for mainstream country artists, he is more of a roots performer himself. And that excellent duet with Justin Timberlake clearly put smiles on everyone's faces. Loved that Miranda wore a Chris Stapleton t-shirt as she picked up her award.

Rewarding the "Girl Crush" song so highly. It's not controversial by indy or pop standards, but it clearly shook up country radio some.

Kacey Musgraves -- there and doing well. I like some of her stuff a lot. I thought the performance last nigth was weird, but I am a little old to get all of what she is up to. Still, no question that she pushes the mainstream country radio envelope.

----------------------------------
There was still plenty of bro-country -- didn't Florida George Line win two awards? And the endless parade of blonde divas, including our hostess. And the typical pandering bullshit -- Brad Paisley's football thing. Still, there was less of all that and a touch of hope. There sure hasn't been much for a long long time.

Maybe it's because Americana artists are making more money, mostly from NPR listeners but still . . . . Maybe because Buddy Miller and other altcountry folks are behind the tv show Nashville. I don't know. I always thought they knew what real country music was and that it wasn't what they were playing, but that they wouldn't risk alienating their young country girl demographic to play much of it. In the past, Brad Paisley would have Willie or someone play with him during an awards show performance -- to sing along on the chorus - -but I always found those minimal acknowledgements insulting. Remember when Johnny Cash died and there was almost no recognition? I don't know. I gave up hope on mainstream country long ago. Or I thought I did.