View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
May I ask what is it about displaying good manners (ie. holding doors open) that makes them a romantic gesture instead of normal behaviour with everyone?
I couldn't agree with you more. Case in point:

Years ago a coworker asked me if I was gay. Have you seen me? I am so femme and rarely if ever, does anyone think I'm gay much less ask me and so in shock I looked at her and asked her, "why would you ask me that?" and she proceeded to tell me that straight women don't hold the door open for other women nor do they light each others cigarettes. I was appalled at her comment. I don't do those things because I am gay, I do them because it is the right thing to do. Our society has become so self involved that we have forgotten common courtesies and manners.

And re: Chivalry? Again, I couldn't agree more. Opening car doors and walking on the outside of a sidewalk is not chivalrous however... again, case in point:

Years ago when I was in a relationship, my son, my partner and myself were sightseeing. I was completely oblivious to my surroundings and taking pictures not paying any attention to who was around me or what was going on. My partner and son both came and removed me from the situation quietly and calmly without my even being aware of what was going on and afterthefact I discovered I was in the middle of a very questionable environment and my safety could have been very much in question. That... was chivalry.