Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody!! You guys put me at ease so when she called I wasn't sputtering. And really all I wanted to know is any and all experiences concerning it but where I am personally was basically "is it ok to ask do you date my race" in those early talks... Don't wanna crush so hard on anyone who may not see me as their type whether it be how I look act talk etc.. I think some conversations between others confused me mostly. Anyway, it would be cool if others use this thread for general interacial dating convos but I don't know how that works. Don't start threads and not really ever sure where I'm supposed to put them.
I have a beautiful, delightful, thoughtful, deep cousin who had a massive crush on a black kid in high school. She felt they had so much in common and she thought he was wonderful. After many months of flirting and getting to know him, she got up the courage to ask him for a date. He turned her down - he said he didn't date outside his race. She was crushed.

But she got over it. I think rejection hurts, and getting your hopes up hurts, but neither one is fatal.

This is not an area where I feel any sort of adeptness, but I will give this a bit of a try. I think your biggest question is whether this person likes you or could be interested in you - and it sounds like your interested in this person. Whether or not this person turns out to be interested in you, I'm going to second Snowy's suggestion that you visit http://www.timwise.org and other sites that discuss antiracism and the way white people act around race. I think otherwise, if you do have the pleasure of dating this person, you may end up letting her carry a heavier burden in the relationship - of having to deal with and carry painful stuff alone at times and possibly sometimes with you as the unknowing source of it.

I knew a woman once who used to joke to me when I was in the midst of reading and learning about white privilege and racism in earnest for the first time - she would say, "I'm not going to be driving Miss Daisy to her realizations about race." Otherwords, do as much of your own work as possible so the POC you know won't feel compelled or burdened unnecessarily by your not having done it. I think part of any serious relationship is being an ally and a friend as well as a lover. It's being there, it's having the other person's back. I think it's good to be equipped.

All that being said, I don't have a lot of experience dating outside my race despite some huge crushes in the past.

I have a hard rule against dating racists, and in my last two relationships I've been really lucky in this regard. Although my current gf (who is white) hasn't done a lick of reading on white privilege and racism, she is very sensitive and empathetic and seems to have a quick and natural understanding in areas where I was and occasionally still am blind. She says she remembers as a teen hearing her mother say something racist and she said to herself, "this cycle is going to end with me." That's a personal commitment of hers and I'm thankful for it.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post: