Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
AlexHunter

How Do You Identify?:
With a greeting and a handshake, typically
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

AlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST Reputation

Here, here. Hi!

I have noticed the prevalence of B/F is also a regional thing. In parts of the southern US, it seems more common than in major metropolitan areas. One could say that is because the south is more "traditional" and "old fashioned." *Shrugs*

In DC, where I've spent a majority of my time living, B/F is a highly divided subject. There are plenty of young queers who shamelessly seek that sort of dynamic and just as many who reject it, bash it, or simply don't understand why. I am personally genderqueer and more on the male-identified end of the spectrum, so it's a little harder for me to defend the "mimicry of straight people" argument than someone who is strictly woman-identified. I DO want to "be the man." I want a pretty girl on my arm and I want to treat her like a gentleman treats his lady.

There are certainly a lot of misconceptions on what butch and femme mean within the mainstream community. I have heard, "I'm not into butch, but I like you!" I have met people who I would consider butch or femme but don't identify as such and would be very offended if someone stuck a label on them. I've had people tell me I'm not butch because I'm not "big and scary" or because I'm "more like a guy than a butch lesbian." I've also had people ask me why I have decided to be "so closed minded" by only dating femmes.

I dislike how "butch" is somewhat of a dirty word in certain lesbian circles when it's part of the history that paved the way for them to openly be who they are.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde
AlexHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AlexHunter For This Useful Post: