How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I think there are definitely a couple of conversations to be had here.

I agree with you, Gráinne, about intraracial violence being as important. The thing that sticks out for me is that it folks of Color are punished with a much greater severity no matter the if it's black on black crime or black on white. And I should caveat by saying that I'd need to find a statistic to back this up but that in some cases, black on white crime is punished at a *much greater* severity than white on black crime ever is. Of course there are specific circumstances and of course this is not an infinite measure but I continue to be alarmed at how the only lives that seem to matter in the judicial system are the rich white ones.

The most recent case where that rich white kid got drunk and ran over a bunch of people and then his attorney claimed "affluenza" was flat out ridiculous. Had that been a black or brown child that had gotten drunk, stole his Daddy's car, and run over a bunch of folks they would have had him or her UNDER the jail by now. Oh, but because he is a white kid from the rich part of town, he is somehow absolved of his responsibility.

Also agreed about the hundreds of nameless deaths that have occurred that have never been reported on. There was a girl of Color named Cleashindra Hall who disappeared from Pine Bluff, Arkansas back when I was in high school. We were around the same age and she was never found. There were some blurbs on the news about it but her parents and the Black community in Pine Bluff were the main driving force behind keeping her name in the papers and still, she has not been found. Only a few years later, Morgan Nick (young white girl) disappeared from an Alma, Arkansas ballpark and it was all the news talked about for a year.

It's just insulting.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: