Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,708 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I am, by no means, worldly. I grew up in a small American town with small town values of being polite, helping out those in need and God, apple pie and all that.

However, I've spent a little time in Western Europe. I felt humbled to be there, most of the time, because they obviously do some things better than we do (gay rights, health care, environment, public transit, sustainability, urban planning to an extent). And what interested me is the perceptions that some people I encountered had about me as an American. The most common misconception was that I must be wealthy if I was traveling in Europe. Truth is, I have what I consider a solid middle class lifestyle. I was fortunate to have someone to stay with while there, thus avoiding lodging costs. Yet, because I dressed well, spent money, and purchased meals out a lot, I was viewed as wealthy. I had to ask, "By whose standard?" It was interesting the responses I received.

Western Europeans are not all that enamored of the States and Americans. They think we are self-centered, arrogant and loud. They think we eat too much, work too much and don't play well with others. Many people I interacted with there had not been to the States, and it scared me they were basing their perceptions on American TV programs (everything from soaps to "Married With Children") or American films. Most of the Europeans I met considered themselves better traveled (I'd argue it's easier to do there than in America), more cultured and more civilized. I would agree that perhaps our view of the world rarely ventures out beyond our borders. I would agree that as a middle class American, it seems I am conditioned to spend money -- afterall, it is people like me who make the world economy go around. However, I took great exception to being lumped in with every other American. I would say Americans are such a diverse people and our differences don't cause as much consternation as some of the things going on politically in Western Europe with the "native Europeans" and the recent Muslim immigrants.

All that said, I think for any culture to teach exceptionalism certainly smacks of elitism. I felt no better than any European I encountered. I think it's wrong for us to think so...even if our supermarkets dwarf their grocery markets; and we have 12 varieties of Oreos to choose from when they only have the regular kind; and we pick up our dog poop and they do not.

Jake
I get that you don't want to be lumped in with every other American, I am guilty of that sometimes even though I hate it to be done to me.

I find that most US citizens that have traveled abroad (and I don't mean Cancun) have a better sense of how they are viewed by the rest of the world.

Having said that, most of what I have encountered, regarding how people from other countries view those form the US, has come not from TV or films, but from what the US has done with its image abroad.

Even in your post, and I say this for the sake of discussion, you mention this: "afterall, it is people like me who make the world economy go around." That in itself is a perfect example of how many US citizens feel. This is not true, the world economy is fueled by so many other countries, not just one country or one class. Perhaps back during the industrial revolution this was true, but it isn't the case anymore.

By the way, we pick up our dog poop here too, but we are greatly lacking in the cookie variety.

Thanks for your post.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote