How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
In at least 45 years of understanding the game of football, I don't remember ever seeing a game I thought was "thrown". I swear this one looked like it. Who calls a pass play that close to the goal line, with downs left and time outs left and 4 points down. Not just in the Super Bowl but in any game. As Collinsworth said NOBODY who understands the game of football, would run that play at that time.

Collinsworth flipped out when he saw Wilson dropping back to pass. Brady made a great comeback for sure, but was he really the MVP? No he wasn't, Butler was the real MVP, without his interception the Seahawks would have scored. Then there is the 13th man Pete Carroll. Maybe he deserved the new Colorado truck more than anyone in the game.

I said before I didn't care who won and I didn't but to be honest I was so jacked up after the last 30 seconds of that game I couldn't even sleep.
I really don't think it was that bad a call. Certainly not one I would have made, but one that makes some sense. If you consider there was 26 seconds left and if the Seahawks run the ball and don't score, they are forced to take their last timeout. That means on third down, they would have had to pass anyway since there likely wouldn't have been enough time for them to line up and run a fourth down play after an unsuccessful rushing attempt. By passing on second down, then they could run the ball on third and fourth if they need to. It might not be the best decision but it certainly was an option and if it had worked nobody would be second guessing the decision. And it easily could have worked if Wilson had thrown the ball low and into the chest of Lockette (notice where Tom Brady puts the ball on the slant to LaFell for a touchdown earlier in the game) and Lockette had positioned himself better anticipating the contact from Butler. That's not what happened, but I think it was more likely just a bad throw and poor positioning from the receiver that made Carroll's call seem worse than it was. I really can't imagine the Seahawks threw the super bowl. I mean do you really think that's what happened? Maybe Belichick or Brady paid Carroll to throw the game? Or maybe the NFL just fixes the super bowl?

As far as Brady not deserving being MVP, that's a matter of opinion. I think Brady takes apart defenses with surgical precision. I think he has ice water running in his veins. When he is on there is nobody better. And I believe he really wanted to win this game badly. But that being said, the Seahawks were given a really amazing break with Kearse falling to the ground and using his knees and a hand to hold onto that pass. If Wilson had thrown a better slant pass to Lockette, Butler never would have made the interception, so I still believe Brady deserves MVP. Without him they wouldn't have been in the position to win the game.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: