Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gráinne View Post
If it's in the U.K., I have it (plus a fraction of Bavarian German). My grandmother was Scottish, born on the Mull of Kintyre that McCartney sang of. Of the counties in Northern Ireland, the only one I haven't found any definite ancestry in is Fermanagh. However, for some ancestors, the birthplace on the census or other records is only "Ireland", which is too vague. I know it's North, but not where. At the other extreme is "Bleachgreen, Londonderry", which is a pretty definite location!

A large number of paper records were destroyed in fire during the Irish civil war in the early 1920s which can make tracing family heritage particularly challenging.

Interesting re lineage to Northern Irish counties excluding Fermanagh. The eyes of the world were on Fermanagh two weeks ago as it hosted the G8 summit - something that would have been unimaginable even a few years ago. We also had Obama visit Belfast on that trip and speak to a large audience of schoolchildren at our Waterfront Hall. For right or wrong, Northern Ireland has become something of a 21st century model for conflict resolution.

I often wonder what I would think of Ireland if I wasn't Irish and lived in the States as there are Irish stereotypes there, both good and bad, that don't mirror reality. I remember visiting San Francisco in March 2007 and walking the streets on St Patrick's Day. The amount of garish green outfits and leprechauns was enough to have me running to the nearest bar (not that I usually need much excuse anyway).
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post: