Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post

I often wonder what I would think of Ireland if I wasn't Irish and lived in the States as there are Irish stereotypes there, both good and bad, that don't mirror reality. I remember visiting San Francisco in March 2007 and walking the streets on St Patrick's Day. The amount of garish green outfits and leprechauns was enough to have me running to the nearest bar (not that I usually need much excuse anyway).
I've wondered the same, if I wasn't American and lived somewhere outside the USA/Canada. I suspect many of the stereotypes and images of "America" wouldn't be very flattering. There are Americans who magically become Canadians when overseas.

Thank Walt Disney for the little men in green suits and hats speaking in what is supposed to be a soft brogue. That was my idea of all Irish accents-wrong again . Somehow they got glommed onto St.Patrick's Day and became a mascot for a popular children's cereal.

I'm not interested in Ireland as shown through Hollywood, cheesy greeting cards every March, or green beer. To the best of my ability, I want to understand this land and its people from whom I descend, both the tragedy and the good.

(Obama has Irish ancestry, from Moneygall).