Old 02-15-2020, 03:47 AM   #231
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Autocracy

I was checking up on what Wikipedia had to say about "autocracy", and this is the quote I found: !!!

"An autocracy is a system of government in which a single person or party (the autocrat) possesses supreme and absolute power. The decisions of this autocrat are subject to neither external legal restraints nor regularized mechanisms of popular control (except perhaps for the implicit threat of a coup d'état or mass insurrection). Absolute monarchies (such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United States, Eswatini, Brunei, and Oman) and dictatorships (such as Turkmenistan, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, Belarus, and North Korea) are the main modern-day forms of autocracy."

So, wow!!!

Therefore, this is what Barr, the Republican Party and his majesty - Trump - have succeeded in manufacturing.

Curiously, a recent market research study has stated something to the effect that Americans trust Amazon and Google more than the police or the government, or even teachers and science. "The five most trusted institutions for Republicans are the military, local police, Amazon, the executive branch, and religion." (Vox)

I find the contradiction between what some people down south believe and think and the large gap between that and their inability and ultimate choice to actually not do something about it is mind-boggling. The problem for me is that this attitude is contagious and is spreading globally. It just seems that those who have money and who are making even more money are quite content to allow this situation to continue, develop and expand. I wonder whether this complacency will continue as long as the "economy" in the States continues to do well, and enrich those who, for example, like to play the stock market. I must also come to the unfortunate conclusion that it is this very contradiction in the collective mind that is facilitating the growth of autocracy. What I am saying is that such division and mistrust is in itself a breeding ground for the birth and development of autocracy in general. I worry about how this will effect Canada.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote