How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,015 Times in 5,084 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
So you think pedophiles, sex offenders, abusers, etc should continue to live on this earth?
I used to think this way, JDeere. To me, it was a simple matter of numbers - if someone did something that deserved death, it was cheaper to execute them than to keep them alive in some prison. It made perfect sense to me that people who didn't deserve to live, also didn't deserve to live off my money for the rest of their lives. I also (still think) it is not good to put people in the position of being prison guards. I think it is bad for them psychologically, and turns them into the kind of people we really don't need in society (and this remains an unsolved problem).

But more recently, I have decided that perhaps it is worth the money to keep people in prison. For instance, it is just not possible for our justice system to be right every time - so, if we kill everyone that we think deserves it, we will be wrong sometimes. Executing those people is just wrong, whether we do it in good faith or not.

I don't think some laws are perfect, either - for instance, the one for pedophiles. What if it's a 20-year-old who sleeps consensually with a 17-year-old - should we call that 20-year-old a pedophile? There are certainly some communities that would do so if the two people were the same gender, or perhaps if the parents of the 17-year-old wanted to put a stop to the relationship.

Also, there are people it is not a good idea to kill for the sake of society - for instance, Charles Manson. Charles Manson is clearly crazy and evil, and possibly the best thing for him and everyone else would have been to execute him. However, society can't risk making him into a folk hero. There are mass murderers and cult leaders and well-known Nazis and others that we can't execute simply because we don't want to turn them into martyrs for those causes.

And finally, I also decided that it is just more important to show mercy in most cases. Leaving people in prison to rot is more merciful in my mind than executing them. It is not even so much that it is important for the bad people to receive mercy; to me, it's even more important that good people (and bad people who don't get caught) show mercy. That's the kind of society I want to live in - not an "eye for an eye" kind of world, but the kind where people show each other mercy.

No problem here if you disagree with me - many people often do. I certainly think I understand your point of view, and a small part of me, in some circumstances, agrees with you.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post: