Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #30
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
I did have a hospital bill once, broke my arm. I made an arrangement with them and paid it off. Makes sense for me to pay off something like that, because I used the service!
Yes, I would do the same. When I mentioned the $5 I was thinking of people who had no ability to pay. I personally would like it paid off as soon as possible!

That is great that both you and your daughter are so healthy! For me, it would be all about that potential accident that causes an admission to a hospital. Outside of one major illness I had, I rarely go to the doctor and don't get sick. However, with the illness I had that required surgery and expensive follow up care, I would have been screwed.

I am extremely fortunate that I work for a health system, who see the usefulness of good insurance. My deductible and premiums are lower than most.
---------------

My hope is that with more people getting insurance we will see a reduction of people coming to the ER. In my experience working in a health care system (which includes two hospitals), people who don't have insurance or the ability to pay a copay to a PCP will utilize the ER when they have minor illnesses (viruses and such) because they have no other way to get treatment. Certainly the wait for them is annoying, but it can also be frustrating for people who are more ill but don't qualify for the "fast track" in our ERs. Hearing about people laying in hallways for hours who need care (to the point of getting admitted to the hospital), is disheartening. I was in that position when I had complications after surgery. The only reason I got into a room after an hour (or two?), in the hallway is that my neighbor came by who is an EMT and simply told the nurses he was putting me into a room. Great guy! I had a subsequent admission and additional surgery, but since I wasn't bleeding my guts out, I was one of those hallway people.

Anyway, I am excited about the ACA and the insurance that many will now have! It benefits ALL of us, even those that will not be using insurance. Hospitals/other physicians will also lose less money due to patients lack of ability to pay (the $5 a month example), so perhaps long term we will even see our premiums go down. You never know! Thanks, Obama!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: