View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #35
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I cannot wait. I cannot wait. I cannot wait. I work with some students with serious mental illness as do some of my colleagues. We see kids over 18 every day who cannot get insurance. Their illnesses go untreated and they languish. Moreover, we become their only lifeline to the world, which is scary since we are not therapists or medical professionals.

Soon, under the Affordable Care Act, these students will be able to get the medications they need. I have two such students right now. One of them has no care. The other has arranged to get medication for one year through a pharmaceutical company's charitable program, but they keep sending the medication late. When his medication is interrupted, he gets foggy and listless.

Last year, I had four such students, one routinely in crisis. One of my colleagues currently has one. The poor young woman has a long and well documented history of mental health needs, yet cannot get the medication that makes her illness manageable. In a few months, she will have it again. And her life will be immeasurably better. She is also a mother, so her daughter's life will also be better.

I am soo sooo sooo grateful for this compassionate and necessary legislation.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: