View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Sourced: http://www.billshrink.com/blog/7636/...fs-in-america/

A lot of these I think I've known but sometimes still do (e.g., movie popcorn has this quality that I can't seem to replicate at home). And I was surprised about the buffet. So that said, what other things do you consider a rip-off in society today? (think materialistic here -- things you buy or services you use).
I don't mind paying out the ass for movie popcorn especially if I like the theatre because it's the only way the theatre makes money. If I don't want to support the theatre I sneak in my own snacks or skip them.
The reason you can't replicate movie popcorn at home is because the oil they use is the thickest, highest saturated fat industrial oil imaginable. The reason is it doesn't overheat and the equipment won't screw up. You could eat a bucket of lard and it would contain less fat. Also the "butter" is usually oil with butter flavored added- a product called "swirl". Butter is too expensive and can overheat or curdle. Used to work in a movie theater.
Great thread idea!
( I do have to kind of chuckle at the title of this article considering the real rip-offs that have destroyed our entire U.S. economy)
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post: