Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
Sometimes, though, "appropriating" is a way of subverting power dynamics in a cultural or social construct. Members of our community appropriate male pronouns. Gays and lesbians appropriate straight marriage rituals. And so on.

Sometimes appropriation is kind of thrilling.
Sorry been gone all day and this just hit me wrong.
*I* being a male in a female body have *appropriated* nothing. I am who I am, and I am Male. I'm sorry if this doesn't fit with the whole white privilege thing, but it is true none the less. Sometimes I wish folks would put away the microscope and learn that there are whole societies that live just fine, minus the privilege. If the UK isn't as knowledgeable about Studs, Aggressive, and other Pronouns, I would suggest it may be due to culture. Again, Culture is the apt usage of Pronouns that people use to express who they are to a society that hold them at arms length, with privilege.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post: