View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #243
BBinNYC

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Fine with he or she. Just don't call me late for dinner.
Relationship Status:
married to the best femme in the world

Tournaments Won: 2

BBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hello Readers

Joining thread...

I usually read a fair amount, though because I read The New Yorker every week, it cuts into my book time. About a month ago, I started reading with a Kindle DX and since then I have been reading non-stop. I have a wish list on the Kindle and every time I finish one book, I just download another. It's something I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I do, but it really changes a lot about reading.

Here's what I've read on the Kindle:

Insignificant Others - Stephen Macauley - a book about a gay man in middle age and about relationship choices. Set in Boston, where I lived for many years, I enjoyed reading a story taking place in a city that I know and love.

Girl in Translation - Jean Kwok - about the Chinese immigrant experience in NYC. Very well written and moving.

The Frozen Rabbi - Steve Stern - the second book of his I've read. It's a magical realism with a twist of Hasidism about a family that has kept a celebrated rabbi frozen for generations until he thaws out in a power outage. A wonderful book.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - also magical realism about a girl who tastes the emotions of the people who have cooked the food she eats. Really well done and recommended.

I also read The Help (pre-Kindle) and like it tremendously. I can see why it's been on the best seller list forever.

Looking forward to hearing more about what all of you are reading.

BBinNYC
BBinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BBinNYC For This Useful Post: