View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #1177
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Post Glad to Wake up and smell the coffee is so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWriteFemme View Post
Okay, so today my sponsee went to the medical oncologist's office and her number is 17 and this means she will have to have both chemo and radiation. 4 rounds of infusion chemo and 28 treatments of radiation. She will begin the chemo in a couple of weeks. I am shocked.......none of us thought she would need chemo. I haven't stopped crying since I found out and I am going to have to get a grip because I will not show her how upset I am, she needs my strength not my distress. I simply don't want her to have to go through this and I have no control....none of us do. She is being a trooper, I offered to come get her or go stay with her or have myself and others come take her to a meeting, but she says she's okay (her sponsee is away this weekend)

Any advice you can offer about surviving the chemo....or the radiation for that matter is appreciated.

Earlier this week the cosmetic surgeon had to cut away her dead skin....it freaked her out, when I asked her why she said because he did it right there in his suit......guess she thought he would gown up??? This has been such a learning experience.

The medical oncologist says when this is all done her chance of occurrence will be 10% so I'm going to hold on to that......until I can find something better!

Thank you again for all the support and encouragement, it really helps!
We are all so unique in the way sickness affects us, but many common side effects from radiation and chemo. Knowing that reading and understanding some of them will be helpful to you and yours, here are a few basic's to get you started. From here , you can explore many topics, as I know being informed helps the crazy committee to be calmed and quieted.

Rad. Therapy sessions took less than 15 minutes. Waited in a lounge with 4 or 5 others, we were all ready and waiting for our names to be called, dressed in those fashionable clothes. I saw, for the ones with breast cancer, the skin gets extremely sensitive, and the radiation nurses and or Doc gave them creme's and ointments to use. Also, staying really well hydrated helped.

Pelvic Radiation for me, was a walk in the park, I drove myself to the external radiation appointments 5 days a week for 7 weeks every morning at 7 Am, then went to work.., and to the 3 final brachytherapy appointments that followed. Fatigue hit me for several months afterwards, where I wanted to sleep in, and not go to work, which was uncommon for me. I needed more than the usual 4 or 5 hours of sleep too.

Chemo is different for everyone. I didn't have chemo, so am not versed in it for myself. My Mom had lung cancer, and never got sick during it.

My best wishes for warp speed through this period of life. The experience you gather could make a great book for support for those who get the news and those that walk alongside. "just sayin' "

I love the smell of coffee too, and now have a Keurig that I can stand in front of as it brews;

Resource Link for Chemotherapy information
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/c...herapy-and-you

Chemotherapy and You: Support for People With Cancer

Chemotherapy and You is written for you - someone who is about to receive or is now receiving chemotherapy for cancer. Your family, friends, and others close to you may also want to read this book.

This book is a guide you can refer to throughout your chemotherapy treatment. It includes facts about chemotherapy and its side effects and also highlights ways you can care for yourself before, during, and after treatment
There are some great resources on NIH and American Cancer Society pages.
Cancer
About This Book
Questions and Answers About Chemotherapy
Tips for Meeting With Your Doctor or Nurse
Your Feelings During Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy Side Effects
Chemotherapy Side Effects At-A-Glance
Side Effects and Ways To Manage Them
Foods To Help With Side Effects
Ways To Learn More
For More Information
Page Options
Print This Page
Print This Document
View Entire Document
Email This Document
View/Print PDF
Download to Kindle
Download to other E-readers
Popular Resources

Last edited by Tommi; 04-18-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post: