Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I made this on New Year's Day, it was sooooo good!

Risotto Rustica with prosciutto & arugula

7-8 cups (1.75lt/64 fl oz) chicken stock (8 cups is about 2 boxes of stock, I always have an additional box on hand in case it is needed to finish the risotto, it often is)
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of finely chopped yellow onion
3 cups of Arborio or Carnaroli rice (risotto rice is imperative, it won't cook the same way with other long or short grained rices)
1 cup dry white wine at room temperature
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
6 large thin slices of prosciutto
1 bunch of arugula, stemmed
Parmesan cheese

*note*
If you've never cooked risotto before - it is a marathon event.
You can't step away from the stove or stop stirring once you start.
Its good to have a risotto-buddy to act as stirring-relief.
If I prepare all of the other ingredients ahead of time, the actual cooking takes between 40-90minutes. It really is worth all of the effort, though!

__________________________________________________ _________

In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock to a gentle simmer and maintain over low heat.

In a large heavy saucepan (non stick with a rounded bottom - ideally), heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened (about 4min). Add the rice and stir until each grain is well coated with oil and is translucent with a white dot in the centre (about 3min). Add the wine and stir until it is completely absorbed.

Add the simmering stock a ladleful at a time, stirring frequently after each addition. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful. Reserve 1/2 cup of stock (3fl oz) to add at the end.

When the rice is tender to the bite but significantly firm in the centre and looks creamy, remove from the heat and stir in the butter and reserved 1/2 cup of stock. (you may also wish to stir in a 1 cup of finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese)

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Line warmed shallow individual bowls with prosciutto slices, top with risotto.
Make a "well" in the risotto and fill with arugula, tearing large leaves in to bite sized pieces. Using a vegetable peeler, shave paper-thin slices of Parmesan cheese over the top.

Serve at once.

omg I need to try this.