View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #51
Enigma

How Do You Identify?:
~ & ~
Relationship Status:
Enchanted

Enigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALovelyKiss View Post
Nat? I do like floor length for most skirted long dresses but I do tend to favor waltz-length because I might have an extraordinary pair of shoes...

Her wedding dress is a treasure, yes? I can't remember, but wasn't her wedding dress designed by someone kind of famous? Or, maybe it was worn by another member in her family??? I don't remember...
Jackie's stunning, gorgeous, to-die-for, can't-get-enough-of-it wedding dress was designed by................

Anne Lowe.

Quote:

Anne Lowe (born Anne Cole Lowe, 1898-1981) was an African American fashion designer who designed the wedding dress for Jacqueline Bouvier when she married John F. Kennedy.

She was born in Clayton, Alabama[1] the great granddaughter of a slave and plantation owner[2]

She married in 1912 at age 14 and enrolled in a fashion school in New York City in 1917. After graduation she opened a salon in Tampa, Florida before returning to New York in 1928 where she worked on commission for stores such as Chez Sonia. In 1946 she designed the dress that Olivia de Havilland wore to accept the Academy Award for Best Actress for To Each His Own (film) -- although the name on the dress was Sonia Rosenberg.[2]

She designed for various upper crust New Yorkers including the ivory-silk-taffeta dress for Jackie in 1953.

She worked her later years at Saks Fifth Avenue where she was featured in a 1960 advertisement.[2]

Felled by glaucoma she lost an eye but continued to design through the 1960 for Madeline Couture and briefly operated Ann Lowe Originals on Madison Avenue in New York
Source:

Wiki link
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enigma For This Useful Post: