Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I think that when we post here or interact with another person that we generally know our own intention. Maybe we intend to just relay an experience or maybe it's about finding common ground. I'd like to think we try to get our intention across by being really thoughtful about the words we use and how we frame our position.

There are, of course, people who say or do things who are not in touch with their intentions. They might say "I didn't intend for that to feel ugly to you" and truly mean that but it might be a scenario when they said something like "That skirt you're wearing is the ugliest thing I have ever seen".
While they didn't intend for that to feel ugly (maybe they thought they were being helpful), I might wonder if they are really out of touch with how their words affect other people. Something about insensitivity maybe?

And perhaps this might fit in the "Duplicity" thread. If a person says or does something that feels really ugly, and perhaps it's something really overtly ugly, but the person is so out of touch with how what they do affects others, is it duplicity? Or are they just an insensitive, self-centered asshole?

This is truly food for thought. Are we out of touch with how what we do affects others??? ....

We live in a world where we are writing words 99% more than speaking them.(Texting primarily ) If we do speak them, it's not in person, its via a phone call. We cannot see how the person is taking what we are saying. DO we even care anymore?

The written word carries some vibration but there is no tone to match. Maybe our intent is not to hurt them, but does one care how the other person receives it? i would hope so, but i fear we are becoming completely insensitive. Do we forget there is someone else on the other end of the screen?

Sometimes our words carry a huge weight with them, a vibration, and it can really sting to the receiver, no matter what the intention. Is it just their problem? Do we get to hit send and be done? It feels so callous.

Maybe someone is having a bad day, but is the receiver aware? How could they be? If i have normal interactions with someone, then i become short with them because of something going on in my life, i at least let them know that i am dealing with something, so they aren't left to feel they have done something to offend me. i hope i do anyway, maybe i don't.

i am learning to get a thicker skin and try not to take things personally, but its tough. i wish i didn't have to do this. Maybe i am always thinking its about me, maybe i am too sensitive. Whatever the case, it's just hard.

Is it too much to ask that people put some thought into it before they hit send?

i am not a fan of digital communication in today's world.

That's my truth
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: