Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I am white and have dated/partnered with women of color. I would definitely again.

As far as families go, I usually get along well with my partner's family so there hasn't been a lot of issues. When there has, it seemed to be more about same sex than me being white, as far as I know.

It was a very eye-opening experience for me to date a black woman in Portland, OR. It is a very white city, although there are of course people of color who live there and a well-established black community in North Portland - which is where my girlfriend was born and grew up. She talked to me about a lot about things and especially us being out and about town as an interracial same sex couple. She seemed concerned about my safety and that being interracial increased the chances of danger. I wondered if I would put her more at risk since I am butch. We were affectionate in public and never ran into any problems, but I definitely learned a lot from her and experienced Portland in a very different way than just by myself or out with other white people. She was always hyper vigilant about her surroundings and she was born and raised there, in this so-called very liberal city.

I had a Mexican American partner that I lived with in Southern California. One thing that really bothered her a lot was her being American constantly being called into question. One of her grandfathers did emigrate legally from Mexico. One of my grandmothers was born in Sweden and moved to the U.S as a child, so that is the same generation as her grandfather, but of course no one has ever questioned whether I am American or how long my family has been here, etc.

Overall, I definitely have noticed the women of color that I have dated or partnered with definitely feel the need to be very aware of their surroundings and get called into question or treated in ways on a regular basis that I as a white person have never experienced. So I have seen the world in different ways than I would if I was partnered with a white person.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post: