Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #53
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Does anyone remember some movie about two women who work together as housekeepers (for wealthy families) in old timey England, and they tell people that they're sisters?

Dylan

I think it might be called 'Sister My Sister' or something like that
The killing of sister George?

So I'll go ahead and toss out my minority opinion.

Claire of the Moon - no, it wasn't a great movie. But when I saw it, that was the first time I had ever seen a lesbian in a movie. Ever. I was coming out and that movie was a positive piece of that.

It took guts to put that movie out there, and no, not because it wasn't a great movie. But at the time, no one else was, so I think it was really brave to go out on a limb like that. Think about all the people involved in the movie, both in front of the camera and behind it. For those pursuing careers in entertainment they were putting their careers on the line.

"oh, well, you're perfect for the part but you were in that dyke movie so you're not what we're looking for."

Around the same time other movies came out.

Desert Heart
Personal Best
Bar Girls
Go Fish
Two girls in love
Better Than Chocolate
When Night is Falling

and others.

Frankly, none of these were great movies. In fact, I think Go Fish sucked, and so did Bar Girls. IMO Claire was much better than those.

It's easy to sit here and throw dung at these movies, but regardless of whether they were great movies they were putting us out there, little by little, and they were there for folks coming out to see at least a tiny little glimpse of ourselves.

Of all the movies we've talked about, Two girls in love was probably my favorite, and that was likely because, although it was never made explicit, there was one pretty definite butch-femme couple - the ones raising Randy.

I mean, really. Today we're represented by the L Word? Which yeah, I watched, but it certainly had absolutely nothing to do with me. Today the market is much more open for queer films. In 1992, when Claire came out, that was anything but true.

And now, back to the topic of the thread, I haven't seen Hannah Free, but I'm going to get my hands on a copy. I'll let you know what I think.