View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #3030
Signmypapyrus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Signmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
American liberalism fell under the spell of identity politics, with disastrous consequences. Driven originally by a sincere desire to protect the most vulnerable Americans, the left has now unwittingly balkanized the electorate, encouraged self-absorption rather than solidarity, and invested its energies in social movements rather than in party politics. Lilla goes to show how the left's identity-focused individualism insidiously conspired with the amoral economic individualism of the Reaganite right to shape an electorate with little sense of a shared future and near-contempt for the idea of the common good. In the contest for the American imagination, liberals have abdicated.

--------

This book is fascinating from both a historical and a behavioral standpoint.

If you are curious as to why intersectionalism is problematic in both interpersonal movements and political ways, he explains it well.
Hm, this sounds interesting. I might look at this since this new wave has foregone the collective in favor of the individual, which is worrying.

Is it anti-intersectional or does it examine the issues this new generation is having?

I’m just reading academic stuff, but I hope to start a Coetzee novel soon.