Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,931 Times in 9,910 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
I loved Life of Pi (mostly because I've struggled with feeling polyamorously religious/spiritual throughout my life) - but Go Set a Watchman was awful. It was basically "well, it's okay to think black people are lesser as long as you're okay with allowing them to vote." Scout, you're just as racist as Atticus. Stop patting yourself on the back, and Harper Lee, stop making Scout out to be the wonderful not-racist one. She's just as racist and ignorant as everyone else. I literally ranted and raved for ten straight minutes and threw the book down at the end. Thankfully I borrowed it instead of paying for it.

Currently I'm trying to read Wheat Belly and the science was interesting but it goes on foreeeeeeeever. How hard can it be to explain 'don't eat wheat, it's wrecking your health?'. I mean, it's a book I needed to read and I really hope there's something worthwhile in the last 40% of the book (I've been stuck at 60%, bored as hell, for a couple weeks now), but it doesn't need to go on for so many pages. Also, the author's 'witty' comments come across as smarmy and ick.

I forget where I read about it, but the op-ed I read spoke about how it took nearly 100 years for social and political attitude to change somewhat radically (I say that mildly) to foster or adopt policy to set right, the way people of color have been traditionally treated like chattel, not worthy of the right to vote or even live with an reasonable opportunity to coexist without fear of reprisal. I think I read it in an Bill Moyer op-ed, where he incorporated these particular truths in a synthesized essay on current political attitude and policy, still found acceptable in American society ---- when it's anything but acceptable, the mistreatment of people of color from any indigenous or ethnic background.

But I liked reading your post, this morning and share similar an sentiment. Btw, welcome back to the community.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: