View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #7652
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
Lyte, can you post your process? Cuz I want to do it too- it looks so perfect!

Here you go... I'm giving ya the shorter version to save you (and anyone else) some reading, I can be a tad verbose doncha know. Please feel free to ask questions you like.

A preface ... the final pieces were the result of my sensing that I wasn't going to be able to (easily) make a traditional vision board. The stack of magazines I had wasn't giving me anything to work with so I decided to go to the internet. The internet route meant I'd have to LOCATE and PRINT a bunch of images/quotes... aka visions... and I quickly realized that was going to be quite a task too. So, I decided I'd focus on one topic per person and then select visions that spoke directly to each topic. Then I realized... …. that since I was going with a lot fewer visions... the visions I would be using should at least POP somehow ... so I elected to wrap them around wood pieces... which would giving them a bit of a 3D effect. And then … I finally realized... that since the visions were now going to be on wood... I'd now have to use a much sturdier board to hold up these heavier visions. lol

As to the construction...

The boards I used were these below... got them at Michael's. They come in a wide variety of sizes. Hoping to add to the POP of the visions, I painted the boards black using standard house paint in satin.

Before deciding on wood pieces, I was going to use cardboard but I couldn't cut nice crisp shapes. The wood pieces can be found in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, widths, etc... on EBay and Amazon. Michael's too has a few plain pieces but they're so much cheaper on Ebay/Amazon.

Attaching visions (paper) to wood... again, I was going to use cardboard but found that PODGE on paper and on cardboard was asking for wrinkles and ripples. It's not impossible but it proved to be more of a hassle than the cost of the boards and/or the wood pieces.

Since joining this crafty group, I've learned that all PODGEs are not the same. lol I used the one below (SATIN) as the glue to attach the visions to the wood The SATIN MODGE seems to have a lower water content and so adhesion is much smoother.

Press the paper down (gently) onto the wood ... all over the image... even along the edges of the wood. You trying to get the paper to adhere to every CM of the wood. If you don't, it will peel or roll up... along the edges.

After the piece dried I'd cut the paper to size around the wood and then cut the corners off so the sides would easily fold over, around the wood and could be glued down. … still using the SATIN MODGE.

Example...

Oh... almost forgot... I highly recommend getting wood pieces who's corners come to a point. Some I purchased (see pic above) had rounded edges and you can't use this "cut the corners" technique so finishing off rounded corners is much more involved. If anyone really wants to know how to finish off ones with rounded corners, lemme know.

Once the paper is glued on and around the wood and you've cut the corner, I continue to use the SATIN MODGE as the first layer over the vision/paper because of the lower water content which continues to keep the paper from rippling. It's unlikely to ripple anyway... if it's glued down firmly … but I didn't want to take a chance. Once the first layer was dry... I wanted they shinier … more POP against the black satin boards... I went back over them with the glossy GLOSSY MODGE.

The whole covering up of the wood pieces with visions process above was the most technical and involved part of the the entire build. Once I finally figured out which images to use and got them onto the wood, then it was just a matter of arranging them prettily on each of the boards.

Let me know if y'all have any questions.

P.S. I learned recently that the hanging thingie I included aren't enough to hold the boards up. Bummer!

P.S.S. Those who chose INNER PEACE, yes, your boards are similar, not 100% the same. Some of the quotes were too perfect or too cool not to use more than once.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post: